Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The sixth boro

New shoes

Christmas is here. Thank Jesus. I'm sitting at home in front of the Christmas tree (that's right, in front of the Christmas tree. My mom has put the tree where the couch was and moved the couch to face the tree. So now, my back is to the TV and I am looking at the tree. My mom's a bit of a nutter.) and eating pizza and blogging and wearing new shoes [which are leopard print, as you can tell. I've never been one to like the print, so it was weird when I was drawn to them in the store. [I just spelled store "stoor." Oh my God.]] and the fire's on*. And my mom's house is small and wooden and our living room is all dark and old-style libraryesque. We're getting ready to pop in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It's cold outside and I don't have any work to do.

Last night I went to my dad's birthday party. He chose Print Works, the restaurant of the Proximity Hotel, which I think is North Carolina's greenest hotel, with the highest LEED rating. It's a really lovely hotel. I was worried about it looking like an environmentalist Pollock, but it's really nice and snazzy -- in my mind, that propagates green living because it tells people HEY, you can do this and not have dreads. Anyway, the restaurant is marvelous. It's reminiscent of old New York City, with drapes separating sections of the room and Victorian-style chairs and very sombre waiters. The food was lovely, which was a surprise since all I could order was some sort of casserole with strange cheese and artichokes. But that tasted lovely too. For desert we had profiteroles, "what are pro-fit-er-owles?" and I stole some of my dad's mousse. It was like a little bit of New York proper, right here in Greensboro. Or like a little bit of Greensboro in New York. 

Well it's time for Harry Potter. 


*There is a word for using too many conjunctions. It's a Latin writing technique. I will give $2 to anyone who can tell me what it's called, because I've completely forgotten and it's hard to justify using it when all I can say is, "The Romans did it!!"

1 comment:

MagAttacksYou said...

CUTE shoes! We can be twins! But yours are cuter!

And THANKS for the letter/monies. I died laughing. Ohhh Alison. OHH Suf. I love you both!